Blood Moon Up Close!

by The Park Wife on April 15, 2014

Aside of the amazing opportunity to live on a state park on a beautiful mountain, we also get to have some really cool neighbors. We are surrounded by a community of people who always stop what they are doing for anyone in need, band together on projects to make our mountain a better place to live, and share their wisdom, knowledge and expertise.

Many of our neighbors are retired and some had very interesting careers. We are extraordinarily blessed that our neighbor right up the road in an astronomer. Yes, an astronomer, with an observatory. He even has wide field astrographic telescope, which means it is super-duper awesome.

He is well-known in the science world with many books and papers published. Although retired, he is still an educator at heart and presents all around the world, and sends his data to Harvard. The Buckaroos just call him Dr. Clay, our nice neighbor that sits at the dinner table and answers a bazillion space questions and tells them no question is dumb.

So, when the blood moon lunar eclipse was going to happen, of course, he invited the boys to see what it was all about.

space1

We woke up at 1:45 and walked up the road. I practiced my Mother of the Year acceptance speech the whole way.

The boys looked through one of his telescopes and then went into the Observatory.

space2

Dr. Clay is always so patient and explains thing on a level for Little Buckaroo to understand, yet does not dumb it down. I believe this intrigues  and motivates Little Buckaroo to read and study more so he can ask pertinent questions.

space3

There was a lot of technical, cool things happening. Dr. Clay’s wife who is a dear friend of mine and I just sat and tried to warm up, seriously in the 30s in April. Winter, I told you I was DONE with you.

space4Dr. Clay moved this telescope (his super-duper one stayed focused on the moon turning red) so that Little Buckaroo could see Saturn, this was the highlight of his night. He loves Saturn and for him to see it so clear and “up close” was amazing.

And, here it is, the first total lunar eclipse in more than two years that turned the moon into a cosmic red ball. And, we had front row seats.

spaceThankful for kind neighbors, now I am going to take a nap,

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Talya Tate Boerner April 15, 2014 at 8:31 am

Very cool! I was a wimp and missed it.

The Park Wife April 15, 2014 at 12:11 pm

It was beautiful, but I am tired. Need a nap.

Stephanie April 15, 2014 at 9:51 am

Oh how cool! I had good intentions of waking up my oldest to take a look at the moon. Alas…I was sleeping.

Dorothy Johnson April 15, 2014 at 10:13 am

What a great opportunity! I remember waking up my son to watch the first man walk on the moon. Some things are worth losing a little sleep. I didn’t see last night’s eclipse. Wish I had. Hope you had a good nap!

Lana April 15, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I was so disappointed that it was cloudy and raining the entire night I wasn’t able to see it. Oh well…at least you little guy got to see it and what a super cool neighbor!

Peggy April 15, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Mom-of-the-Year indeed! My kids were sad I didn’t wake them up in the middle of the night. I think your astronomer friend, Dr. Clay, might be the same Dr. Clay I know. Well, I don’t really KNOW him. He had a telescope on my elementary school campus-good old Edgewood Academy. Small world–Big universe!

Julie Hunt April 15, 2014 at 2:31 pm

WOW! This is amazing!! Beautiful pictures and inspiring story to go with it. You’ve got my vote and I’m not even your kid!! Thanks for sharing with those of us who didn’t get to view it first hand. I understand they’ll be 3 more between now and next year. Maybe I’ll get to see one of those. Enjoy your nap!

Belinda Burr Barker April 15, 2014 at 5:19 pm

What a beautiful piece about your experience with your kids and neighbors! I am a fan–straight up. I cannot wait to be your neighbor, too!

The Park Wife April 15, 2014 at 5:45 pm