Home » The Park Wife Blog » Pump Up the Jam

Pump Up the Jam

I am so out of the loop musically. After years of listening to Veggie Tales songs with toddlers, we moved to the Ozarks and our boys began playing old-time, folk, and bluegreass music. My life is filled with music, but I need some variety. I REALLY need some variety.

So, music recommendations please!  Now, rap makes me cringe and any songs that have offensive language is not cool since I will be dancing crazily in my kitchen with my kids, plus that  is just not my style.  Oh! and no boy bands, NSYNC rocked my high school years (no judgement please),  but no thanks in this season of life.

Please help me save my sanity!

1. Adrienne says:

Lately I’ve been enjoying stuff like Mumford & Sons, The Avett Brothers, and the Lumineers.

The Reigning Lorelai has been enjoying things like Call Me Maybe, and well honestly anything with a heavy beat, LOL. She doesn’t make a good Baptist in that manner. My grandmother is rolling in her grave.

2. Kellee says:

I’m feel out of the loop as well. I usually turn on Pandora and pick 70’s, 80’s & 90’s. I wonder if they have a “non-offensive songs with a good beat station”? Confession: I do love Dan Zanes for kids music and still listen to it when my daughter isn’t with me.

3. Judy Davis says:

Nora Jones has a new CD out which is sold at Target exclusively. Great CD !! She sings a variety of songs on it. Beautiful voice. There are some outstanding groups/singers out there. Lumineer’s are really great. I totally understand the need for Variety !!! Judy

4. LisaM says:

Adrienne stole my answers! Okay so I am in LOVE with the Avett Brothers. If you like that, or like Alison Kraus, here are a couple more for you:
    The Head and the Heart , The Civil Wars (who just broke up doggone it)
    I like The Killers, Keane and a not outrageously popular chick called Tracy Bonham.
    If you’re in a feel good dancing mood, try Michael Frante and Spearhead.

5. Shelley says:

Ok, don’t think i’m goofy for liking music from Jimmy Buffet (Cheeseburger in Paradise) or The Beach Boys (Kokomo). Anything that makes me think of someplace warm & tropical (love the beach)!!!

6. Julianne says:

I would add to the great suggestions by Adrienne, Lisa, Gina & Ginger:
    The Be Good Tanyas
    Nickel Creek and any album Chris Thile has worked on since they broke up: Goat Rodeo Sessions (w/Yo-Yo Ma), Punch Brothers and How to Grow a Band
    Carolina Chocolate Drops