Pump Up the Jam

by The Park Wife on January 24, 2013

I am so out of the loop musically. After years of listening to Veggie Tales songs with toddlers, we moved to the Ozarks and our boys began playing old-time, folk, and bluegreass music. My life is filled with music, but I need some variety. I REALLY need some variety.

So, music recommendations please!  Now, rap makes me cringe and any songs that have offensive language is not cool since I will be dancing crazily in my kitchen with my kids, plus that  is just not my style.  Oh! and no boy bands, NSYNC rocked my high school years (no judgement please),  but no thanks in this season of life.

Please help me save my sanity!

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Adrienne January 25, 2013 at 12:14 am

Lately I’ve been enjoying stuff like Mumford & Sons, The Avett Brothers, and the Lumineers.

The Reigning Lorelai has been enjoying things like Call Me Maybe, and well honestly anything with a heavy beat, LOL. She doesn’t make a good Baptist in that manner. My grandmother is rolling in her grave.

Kellee January 25, 2013 at 12:37 am

I’m feel out of the loop as well. I usually turn on Pandora and pick 70′s, 80′s & 90′s. I wonder if they have a “non-offensive songs with a good beat station”? Confession: I do love Dan Zanes for kids music and still listen to it when my daughter isn’t with me.

Judy Davis January 25, 2013 at 12:41 am

Nora Jones has a new CD out which is sold at Target exclusively. Great CD !! She sings a variety of songs on it. Beautiful voice. There are some outstanding groups/singers out there. Lumineer’s are really great. I totally understand the need for Variety !!! Judy

Amy James January 25, 2013 at 1:13 am

That James Taylor is really cool. And young. All the hep kids are listening to him.

LisaM January 25, 2013 at 2:07 am

Adrienne stole my answers! Okay so I am in LOVE with the Avett Brothers. If you like that, or like Alison Kraus, here are a couple more for you:
The Head and the Heart , The Civil Wars (who just broke up doggone it)
I like The Killers, Keane and a not outrageously popular chick called Tracy Bonham.
If you’re in a feel good dancing mood, try Michael Frante and Spearhead.

Shelley January 25, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Ok, don’t think i’m goofy for liking music from Jimmy Buffet (Cheeseburger in Paradise) or The Beach Boys (Kokomo). Anything that makes me think of someplace warm & tropical (love the beach)!!!

gina January 25, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Currently loving Of Monsters and Men and Ed Sheeran. Downloaded bothe albums and love each and every song.

Ginger January 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm

ALABAMA SHAKES! They are great.

Julianne January 26, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I would add to the great suggestions by Adrienne, Lisa, Gina & Ginger:
The Be Good Tanyas
Nickel Creek and any album Chris Thile has worked on since they broke up: Goat Rodeo Sessions (w/Yo-Yo Ma), Punch Brothers and How to Grow a Band
Carolina Chocolate Drops
Andrew Bird
The Wailin’ Jennys
The Black Keys
Mindy Smith

LisaM January 28, 2013 at 2:17 am

OH YES! I give a second to Nickel Creek, the Carolina Chocolate Drops and the Wailin Jennys.

Add in some Amos Lee and the Oh Hellos

Lyndi (nwafoodie) January 31, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Hey girl,

I did a “music to cook to” recommendation on my blog for James Torme. Remember Mel Torme (sorry, I am older than you!)… well, this is his son. The post has a link to one of his songs. They are pure fun! Enjoy! I hope you don’t mind me including the link!

Lyndi